In one short day, Star Trek: Beyond will be coming out in theaters and we got to thinking – what made us fall in love with the first two Star Treks films in JJ Abrams’ rebooted series?
Welcome to the Geekly Humpday, mine & Josiah’s weekly segment to bring you what’s on our minds and a little something to help get you through the Wednesday work day.
Admittedly, Jo and I haven’t seen much of anything Star Trek except the recent movies and poor Grumpy Geek is probably rolling his eyes at this. But to be fair, the movies to me were an excellent way to get future Trekkies into the series. Here are the top reasons we love the latest installations in the Star Trek franchise, Star Trek & Star Trek Into Darkness.
1. Casting & Acting Performances. We loved the casting and acting. You can’t have a good movie without good actors and Star Trek has a ton of them. From Chris Pine to Zachary Quinto to Simon Pegg and Karl Urban. They all put on amazing performances and they paid homage to their characters. I also love the relationships that each character has with one another other and how Kirk brought them all together.
2. The Original Score. The music in Star Trek is absolutely epic and It really encompasses the greatness of the film. It’s catchy and Michael Giacchino does the legacy of Star Trek justice.
3. Storytelling. I’m a complete noob when it comes to Star Trek, so seeing how all the characters come together and make a team was incredible. I love in the first movie the power struggle between Spock and Kirk, how they come together as brothers in the second film, and I like that J.J Abrams used the whole alternate timeline so that he can completely revitalize the series and start anew, while respecting the roots of one of Science Fiction’s greatest series ever. It was smart and a good way to not piss off hardcore fans. I also liked that J.J brought back the original Spock, Leonard Nimoy, and used him in the films as a guardian/oracle of sorts.
4. Romance. I actually really like the romance between Uhura and Spock. I think it’s a nice touch. It adds another facet of Spock’s character and also adds some humor to the story, particularly when they’re arguing.
5.Star Trek & Star Trek Into Darkness are a great entry point for people who have no prior knowledge of the series. Sam & I went into 2009’s Star Trek nearly completely blind. I had only previously seen Star Trek: Nemesis with my Dad. I feel I have a good base knowledge of the franchise (not compared to Grumpy, of course) and have a thirst to dig into the lore, various TV series, and previous films. We can’t wait for the upcoming CBS series.
6. Cinematically, it is gorgeous. JJ Abrams’ direction and production of the first 2 films helped to make them some of the best looking movies of all time. They are cinematically pristine; clean cut, colorful, and futuristic.
7. The humor makes the films fun. The dynamic between Pine’s Kirk and Quinto’s Spock is incredible. You will be hard pressed to find a better pairing. The ensemble cast is one of the best ever assembled. The small moments of comedy keep the films lighthearted, but not enough to take away the overall intensity. It’s a perfect blend.
We completely recommend both movies if you are interested in the best way to jump into Star Trek. Already saw the films? Great! We want to hear from you. What is your favorite part about the movies? Leave your comment below.
Looking for a new item to show off in your wardrobe? Visit The Geekiverse’s Online Merch Store, Geek Swag.